Thursday 2 May 2013

27/04/2013 Shrewsbury Town 3-2 Portsmouth: Pictures Of Greenhous Meadow

Notes
Here are some pictures I took during my trip to Shrewsbury to see Pompey's last game of the 2012-13 season.

I followed the 'football parking' signs from the outskirts of town to Shire Hall and parked-up.

As has happened to me before this season (i.e. Crewe) the parking signs seemed to just melt away the closer I got to my destination. These clubs must know I'm coming! In fact I may have been the only Pompey fan using the car park as there were plenty of spare spaces! I would be interested to know if this is still an 'official football car park' (let me know, @PompeyChicken on Twitter).

Oh well, it all worked out OK. I had a very pleasant conversation with a local cricketer, who had arrived at the same time as me to play on the Salop Unison Club Sports Ground next door to Shire Hall. He gave very clear directions to the ground which took about 15 minutes to walk. Despite the heavy rain and hail showers during the afternoon the cricket match was still being played when I returned to the car after the game.

Greenhous Meadow is a modern ground that replaced the old Gay Meadow. It is similar in style to Colchester United's ground. It is located on the outskirts of town alongside the railway line. It has four stands which all stand alone, none of the corners are filled in. There is a large car park on site (permit holders only, numbered parking spaces I noted).

There is a training pitch next to the stadium (which is excellent), this notion of having the training pitch next to the stadium is a good one in my view, AFC Bournemouth have a similar set up.

The stewards were friendly but I have to say I think the Police numbers were just a little bit over the top. The shrill of police sirens after the game as vehicle after vehicle sped along Otley Road in to town turned Shrewsbury in to something you might expect to see in London or Birmingham. I guess we're going to experience this a lot as we travel to new and smaller grounds. Was there any trouble? I didn't see any.

It was an enjoyable way to end the season in front of Shrewsbury's largest attendance of the season. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

P1080327
My first view of the Greenhous Meadow Stadium, taken from the railway bridge on Otley Road.

P1080330
Yay! Pompey are in town.

P1080331
You are here, no really you are.

P1080465
The main entrance to the Greenhous Meadow stadium.

P1080467
Three loyalty points required to watch Pompey!

P1080470
The corner of the East and North Stands.

P1080461
The North Stand (The Pro-Vision CCTV Stand), this was where the Pompey fans were situated.

P1080337
Not the only Super Blues in town today! PUP!

P1080338
The back of the West Stand, this runs alongside the railway line.


P1080342
Initially I thought this was a memorial garden like I've seen at other grounds (e.g. Coventry City). But I think it might be an orchard as those are apple trees you can see. It was located at the South Stand end of the ground. Certainly an unusual find! If anyone has any more more information please let me know (@PompeyChicken on Twitter). In the background you can see the training pitch. 

P1080340
This is the back of the South Stand. The low brick building you can see is....

P1080463
...the home of the Shropshire Football Association!

P1080343
The corner of the East Stand with the main entrance to the right.

P1080464
And here's a closer view of the main entrance and hospitality suite.

P1080471
Jumpers for goalposts! There was plenty of open grass on site to have a kick around. I love this picture! To the left you can see the edge of the five a side pitches that are also on site.

Inside The Ground
 P1080350
View of the East Stand.

P1080351
View of the South Stand - oh look it's known as The Salop Leisure Stand.

P1080352
The West Stand.

BlueThruAndThru