Wednesday 26 September 2012

22/09/2012 Notts County 3-0 Portsmouth: Pictures Of Meadow Lane

Notes
Here are some pictures I took of Meadow Lane before the recent match between Notts County and Pompey.

This was my third trip to the ground, but only the second time to see a match. Last season I parked at Meadow Lane for Pompey's last match in the 2011-12 Championship season at The City Ground versus Nottingham Forest, on the other side of the River Trent. My first visit was in the 1990s when I witnessed a promotion-chasing Pompey team secure a one-nil win with a goal from Paul Walsh. 

The Meadow Lane ground  has seen a number of improvements since my first visit and is now a modern, all-seater ground that holds around 20,000 fans. As well as hosting football it also hosts Rugby Union.

The ground has four separate stands, none of the corners are 'filled-in'. Pompey fans were located in the Jimmy Sirrel Stand.

Although the result was disappointing, it was another good day out sampling the delights of another away ground. There's always something unusual to see if you look hard enough, you can see what I mean below. Enjoy the pictures!

First view of the ground from the car park. I parked in the bus station, next to the River Trent, overlooking The City Ground, it was very convenient, the cost was four pounds. This stand is The Hayden Green Family Stand.

This is a view of the end of the Derek Pavis Stand at the corner with the Hayden Green Family Stand Note the two sets of turnstiles either side of the tree. These have images of former Notts County players on them. See two pictures below for more. 

Closer look at the turnstiles I/II.

Closer look at the turnstiles II/II.

The ticket collection windows in the The Hayden Green Family Stand.

Project 150: a mosaiic of season ticket holders' photographs on the Hayden Green Family Stand.

The end of the Jimmy Sirrel Stand at the corner of The Hayden Green Family Stand. Spot the matchday programme seller underneath the umbrella.

And there he is again!

Pompey fan waiting for his 815 colleagues who also made the trip to Nottingham.

The back of the Jimmy Sirrel Stand I/II.

Looks like Bristol City were recently in town.

The back of the Jimmy Sirrel Stand II/II.

The end of the Kop Stand. This is where Pompey fans were located in my last trip to Meadow Lane all those years ago.

The back of the Kop Stand. I like the steps you can see through the gates...

...so much so that I took another picture!

Cows! Located at the entrance to the Cattle Market car park. This made me chuckle, it reminds me of a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon where a doctor is examining a patient who has a cow's head, similar to these, on his knee: "I'm afraid you've got cows, Mr Farnsworth" he informs him.

I couldn't resist a second picture of the cows that also included the advert for the Silly Sausage Cafe.

This is a view of The Derek Pavis Stand, you can just see the seats in the Jimmy Sirrel Stand to the left of the picture. I like the modern turnstile buildings dotted around the ground, they've retained an older style feel I think.

This is the back of the Kop Stand and the entrance to the car park I used earlier this year.

An advert for an upcoming Nottingham Rugby match.

Meadow Lane Stadium Plan (oops! I've been referring to it as a ground up to this point).

Pictures Taken Inside Meadow Lane
The Hayden Green Family Stand.

The Derek Pavis Stand.

The Kop Stand.

BlueThruAndThru