Monday 13 February 2012

11/02/2012 Blackpool 1-1 Portsmouth: Jimmy Armfield and Stan Mortensen Statues

There are two statues at Bloomfield Road of former Blackpool players.

On my arrival at the ground, I walked from the Central Beach Car Park, the Jimmy Armfield statue is the first one you see. It stands there very proud on that corner of the ground and welcomes you in. On leaving the ground after the game it was nicely lit from small circular lights in the ground.

The Stan Mortensen statue - titled "Morty" - is on the other side of the ground, is smaller in size, on a brick plynth and is surrounded by fans' bricks a feature I've seen in a number of other grounds around the country.

Of course both players also have stands named after them as well at Bloomfield Road along with Sir Stanley Matthews.

These are both fine statues, quite different and great ways to acknowledge, commemorate and celebrate two of the finest players ever to wear a Blackpool shirt.

The pictures of Alan Ball and Colin Suddick plus the commemorative plaque in the main entrance to the Matthews Stand were an added bonus I wasn't aware of until I started looking around. See my previous blog article for pictures by clicking here ==> Pictures Of Bloomfield Road

Jimmy Armfield I/III

Jimmy Armfield II/III

Jimmy Armfield III/III

Stan Mortensen - "Morty" I/IV

Stan Mortensen - "Morty" II/IV

Stan Mortensen - "Morty" III/IV

Stan Mortensen - "Morty" IV/IV

BlueThruAndThru