Wednesday 8 February 2012

Tweets From The Trial Of Harry Redknapp and Milan Mandaric

If you follow @PompeyChicken on Twitter you'll know by now that I've been avidly following the tax evasion trial of Harry Redknapp and Milan Mandaric at Southwark Crown Court through the tweets of the journalists present. I do like a good retweet! Here is a list of my favourite tweets from the trial. Enjoy!
BlueThruAndThru

25th January - the trial hears a recording of a telephone conversation between Redknapp and Rob Beasley a NOTW reporter
@Pearcesport Beasley "I wish I could leave a hundred grand lying around". Redknapp "Well I can Rob"

@Pearcesport Redknapp "Do I need 30 f***ing grand avoid 30 grand income tax? Do I need that Rob? I mean 30 f***ing grand! I'll f***ing give you 30 grand"

@RobHarrisUK To football investigation, Redknapp cited friend as saying "Your problem is your name Harry & you have got a Cockney accent", court hears

26th January
@Pearcesport Court's been watching video link from Monaco. David Cusdin evidence. He worked at HSBC bank there where Redknapp's Rosie47 account was held

@Pearcesport Redknapp: "I'm most disorganised person in world. I can't work a computer, don't know how to email. Never sent a fax or even text message"

@pkelso Redknapp told police: "I have a big problem, I can't write. I can't even fill in a team sheet. I write like a 2-year old and can't spell."

27th January
@Pearcesport The account in Monaco was with HSBC. Redknapp "I didn't want to bank with HSBC. I want to be with Lloyds or Barclays"

30th January
@Pearcesport Mandaric said he had a "love affair of football" with people of Portsmouth. "Not a rich community, very proud people, they love their club"

31st January
@Pearcesport Mandaric told jury that when he sold Portsmouth he paid £100,000 into offshore account for Peter Storrie as thank you for finding buyer

@Pearcesport Just popped out of Redknapp/Mandaric trial to broadcast. We had 45 minute delay after lunch as prosecutor as broken his glasses!

1st February
@Pearcesport Mandaric says entitled to be friends with his manager + make investment for him, in same way entitled to holiday and play tennis with him

@Pearcesport Laughter in Court when Redknapp reveals that barrister representing Milan Mandaric is an Arsenal fan

@Pearcesport Laughter in Court when Redknapp said Crouch had been good investment as he was "young, getting better and growing taller"

@SamWallaceIndy Redknapp was preoccupied with how Portsmouth would mark David Beckham on the day he signed crucial 'Mottram Hall' fax in 2003, court hears

@SamWallaceIndy Redknapp stops evidence & tells Detective Insp Manley in court to stop 'staring at me'. 'I know you are trying to cause me a problem'

2nd February
@pkelso Redknapp said "I don't need to tell the News of the World the truth, I need to tell the police the truth."

@Pearcesport Brief pause when phone rings in public gallery. The ringtone is the song "Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur"

@Pearcesport Redknapp "I'm the most ungreedy person you ever met - ever, ever. Give me bible back and I'll put my hand back on it"

6th February
@SamWallaceIndy Judge adjourns case for today because temperature 'insufferable' in court. Transpires 'a man from Bristol' must come to fix it

7th February
@Pearcesport I'm inside the court room. If jury reach verdicts or want to speak to judge a light will go on above the door. Light remains off

@Pearcesport The Vatican uses white smoke for this kind of thing. The British judicial system prefers a light bulb that's about 2 inches in diameter

8th February
@pkelso Both defendants cleared of all counts

@pkelso This is 2nd time Mandaric has been acquitted of tax evasion. Previous trial in October, found he and former PFC CEO Peter Storrie not guilty

@pkelso Mandaric/Storrie case related to payments to Portsmouth players Faye and Berkovic. Jury took just 3 hours (including lunch) to acquit.

@pkelso Two failed prosecutions raises major questions for police and HMRC about costly five-year football inquiry. Millions spent, no convictions.

@Pearcesport I promised you I'd give you my views once trial over. I sat through all evidence. No doubt in my mind that right verdicts reached

Note: I've not asked anyone's permission to use the tweets listed above, if there are any concerns please contact me @PompeyChicken at Twitter to let me know.