Monday 30 January 2012

28/01/2012 Peterborough United 0-3 Portsmouth: Pictures Of London Road

Introductory notes
Here are some pictures I took during my visit to London Road, Peterborough, surely one of only a few grounds in the country that has a view of a cathedral! See below.


I'd describe London Road, with its capacity of just under 14,700, as a ground in transition; it is a mixture of old and new, with plans for development so I was really pleased I made this trip - another new ground for me and a chance to see it before it changes.

It has two old style terraces - unusual in the Championship - behind each goal, one for home fans (London Road Terrace) and one for away fans (Moy's End Terrace).

The ground also has a modern stand with 'corporate' box facilities (The N&P South Stand). The final stand (The North Stand) is also of an older construction with some very solid wooden seating! As an aside, it made a pleasant change to be able to purchase a seat at an away game and actually be able to use it!

There is some car parking at the ground but it's not available to the public, restricted due to the ongoing demolition and redevelopment works. See below.


The stewards I spoke to were very helpful and very friendly, it's a club that still has a nice local, community feel to it.

There is lots of unused land in the vicinity and the club clearly has some big plans. You can find out more about the planned redevelopment of London Road by clicking on the link here ==> London Road redevelopment

Travel, parking and a bit of railway history!
After some deliberation I decided to drive up to Cambridgeshire which took about 3 hours (A3, M25, A1); I'm glad I did as some Pompey fans were severely delayed by an incident on the railway line which was my other option.

Following the signs to 'football car parks' on arrival - not that straightforward as they seemed to disappear once I'd followed the first one - I eventually found my way to the Railworld car park, convenient and just a short walk from the ground through a subway.


The two attendants on duty were very friendly and helpful (I may have got there a bit early as I am now the owner of car parking ticket number 1 for the day! LOL!).

I had a brief discussion with one attendant about the history of the RTV31 hover train, which is at Railworld on display. See below.


For those who remember such things from Tomorrow's World and the like, you can watch an ITN video from the early 1970s about the RTV31 in the YouTube video below:



Pictures of London Road
My first view of the ground after I'd walked from the Railworld car park.

Yep! It was my first visit!

Map of the London Road ground.

The entrance to the David Seaman Suite.

The view down towards the David Seaman Suite and Ticket Office counters.

2010-11 season League One Play-Off victory images.

The Peterborough football programme exchange shop - what a great idea!

The floodlight pylon on the corner of the London Road Terrace.

The entrances to the London Road Terrace, for home supporters.

The POSH flag on the top of the N&P South Family Stand. It's not possible to walk around the ground, I took this picture from the street. This Stand is 'boxed in' by housing.

This is the view of the modern N&P South Family Stand.

This is the back of the Moy's End Terrace, used by away fans.

Shoot for points! I love this! It was painted on to the side of the Moy's End Terrace, the sort of thing I recall from the school playground in the 1970s! I wonder if it used?

The floodlight pylon on the corner of the Moy's End Terrace, by the entrance for away supporters (see below).

The entrance to the Moy's End Terrace East, with a gaggle of stewards.

The Burger Stall on the corner of the Main North Stand.

The entrance to the Main North Stand for away fans - for seats.

The entrance to the Peterborough Youth and Community Office.

The Posh Shop!

BlueThruAndThru